Monday, June 26, 2006

Excursions

Although I've been knitting for 8 years, I'm a fairly inexperienced knitter. Last week, I made my leap into the world of knitting:

I've KIPed. Well, I don't know if I can actually say that I've never knitted in public ever. When I first started knitting in the seventh grade, I spent a good portion of my time at the science fair knitting, waiting for the judges to come around and judge my project: DNA extraction from fruits and vegetables. I could only knit washcloths, but Erin and I sat there: she with her crochet and I with my knitting. It felt good to knit with someone there and I didn't mind the strange stares from the other kids. Actually, come to think of it, I haven't really knit with someone else in a long time. I need to do that.

Anyway, back to the other day's KIP. I was on campus in the sun, getting a tan and working on my white slippers (which I am almost done, by the way: I just need to seam up the second one) A couple of hours into the KIP, a girl came down and sat next to me reading. She sparked up a conversation and was awed about my slipper-making ability, she having only done scarves and shawls. She said she had a large pile of those at home she needed to get rid of. I suggested gifts, but she said no and that she'd rather sell them.

Now there's a thought. Selling the things you knit. I have thought about it, but I never thought I could get much for selling them- well, not anything worth my time or a business. Cost of materials and time can put a pair of socks well over a hundred dollars. It's not really an efficient business. How would you price a pair of socks anyway?

1 comment:

Katherine Of It All said...

Dey just ain't no way to get out in dollars what you put in to a pair of socks. No how.