Thursday, September 28, 2006

out of necessity

So here we are, newly weds. We don't own anything but 2 crock pots, 5 toasters, and a studio apartment. And our kitchen was RIDICULOUS. We didn't own any washcloths for wiping down the table or counters. So, I came up with a solution: I could knit them!

Ok. The pics aren't up yet, but I'll post the pattern and add the pics later. I used a 100% cotton that I bought a spool of at the thrift store for $2. I don't know the specifics and such, but I do know it was your basic 4 ply worsted weight cotton. It reminded me of Peaches n Cream.

So the pattern. Actually, this was kind of the first pattern I ever knitted when I was first learning. I don't have that pattern, as I lost it, but I made something up that is pretty darn close. It took me about 30-60 minutes to do it (the knitting, not the making up of the pattern). Here it goes:

US Size 7 needles.
100% cotton worsted weight
4.25 sts per inch, 8.25 rows per inch in garter stitch

CO 4
Row 1: K1, YO, K to end
Repeat this row until there are 40 stitches on your needle.
Decreasing:
First decreasing row: K2tog, YO, K2tog, K to end.
Repeat this until there are 4 stitches on your needle.
Bind off.

It's really simple. It was great to learn on this instead of your basic garter stitch scarf. It's slightly more "fancy."

1 comment:

Jacquie said...

Hi.
Congratulations on getting married. I wish you much happiness together.

Wash cloths seem to be popular at the moment. I am making one a day this week as I was fed up with using so much kitchen roll. I made one with the pattern you used but in two colour stripes - there are pictures on my blog. I have been using Sugar n Creme that I have had in my stash for a long time.