Friday, November 30, 2007

Dark and Gloomy

This week has been so busy that I haven't had time to knit. I still have to finish cleaning the house before we can decorate for Christmas. I think we'll buy a small tree tomorrow.

Proof that it's dark and gloomy (the view from my front door at 3:30pm)

The trip was nice; I still have to finish some of those presents, but I did get started on a gift for myself. A baby blanket from this issue of Magknits.
As you see, I have a tendency to knit with the EXACT yarn called for, colorway and everything. I do mix it up sometimes, but this was a nice gender-neutral blanket, so I didn't bother.


What have I done today? Well, instead of being productive and cleaning the house for decorating, this dark and gloomy day has made me want to knit something cozy. So I went to the yarn store. Heindselman's is having a sale on gift certificates right now- you only pay 80% of the price of the gift certificate, but you can't use it until after Christmas!

So of course the first thing I gravitate to is beautiful sock yarn that's $20/skein. I decide to pass that up to wait until my newly purchased gift certificate can be used.


I do buy some things that are needed now, though.
McKay needs some gloves/mittens. So I got him this. I figured the colors were manly enough...

I also saw the clearance section. I don't remember which, but one skein was $.99 and the other was $3.99. I couldn't pass those up. I'm thinking of making a mitred square blanket, so I'm stocking up on stash for that.

I also bought a skein for a scarf for my brother. He's a missionary in New York City for the next couple of years, and he doesn't have a scarf for the winter. It's just your basic blue worsted yarn, so I didn't take a picture. I need to get that done for Christmas for him, but it's a scarf, so it won't take long for sure.

And now I'm going to try to dedicate myself to cleaning so I can knit without guilt.

4 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

You can be like me and wait for the real cleaning until Saturday, knit guilt free until then, hehe.

I didn't need any more reason to go to Heindselman's, but now I'm even more tempted ;).

NH Knitting Mama said...

I love the colors of the yarn for the mittens, and you had some great yarn finds, too!

kasiaiscarly said...

just think. . . only 19 more days until the days start getting longer again!

miabean said...

I used to live in New York City! Back before they converted half the church to a temple. I wish I could be there to see part of it as a temple. Good luck on the scarf, he'll need it!