Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day Yarning


I tutor a friend in math right now and as payment, she's been giving me little baby scarves and hats that her sister uses as packaging material (knits as packaging material? new to me!) and has offered to pay for any babysitters we might need this summer.

The thing is, at the rate my babe is growing (she was 10lbs. 9 oz on Sunday), she doesn't fit the hats. So now I have all these knits and nothing to do with them...

The thrifty/eco-friendly knitter knows exactly what to do: reuse the yarn! So I'm going to be winding a few balls of yarn today. The scraps will be great for little baby collage-like clothes or for squares for an afghan. She also gave me an adult-sized scarf that could be made into longies (if I could figure out if it's wool or acrylic).

This makes me want to go to the thrift store to see if there are any wool sweaters for cheap that I can tear apart... Maybe next week. I have a busy day today.

2 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

I've had much better luck with Savers than with DI for wool sweaters. Just wanted to remind you of another option :)

Summers Camp said...

Wow, that's a good idea. *B