Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Onesie Dress

This was Margaret's favorite onesie. I liked to refer to it as her Gay Pride onesie, except there's no purple and I'm pretty sure you can't have gay pride without purple, so the name is a bit of a misnomer.

It was one of my favorites, too. It was large. It says its size is 18 months, but it would fit 3T I'm sure.


But as you see, it was coming apart at the crotch. I wanted to save it. Then we found out that we're moving next May and I decided I am NOT moving a bunch of fabric that has just sat around. I'm going to find uses for it before we move or it's not coming with us.

So yesterday during Margaret's nap, I made the onesie into a dress. I think it's awesome. McKay doesn't think it "matches." Margaret refuses to wear it. I think she's upset that I cut into her favorite onesie and doesn't understand that the modification will actually prolong the life of the onesie. Oh well.
The layers are just concentric circles. I actually sat down with a paper and pencil and divided by pi and worked out the ideal sizes. I even made a make-shift compass out of a pushpin and string and pen. Obviously I had to cut circles out of the middles of the fabric circles, and so I made fabric yo-yos from those. One will be used to embellish the dress and the others will be made into hair clips. It's a very summery dress and I love it. I have no idea why Margaret refuses to wear it. If I can get her into it, I'll snap a picture for you all.

1 comment:

Melinda (farleysmiles) said...

I think it is great! and I'm glad that onsie has lasted so long, Eden wore it before Margaret although it fit at the wrong season so she didn't get a ton of use out of it. We did the opposite with a sundress of Eden's, it was getting a little short and the button on the sleeve was lost so my mom turned it into a skirt for her and it is now her favorite thing to wear. I'm sure Margaret will love the dress soon.