Monday, May 17, 2010

FO: Vintage Soaker


Pattern: Knitted Soaker from 1959 Good Housekeeping Knitting for Baby Book (pdf on the bottom of that page)
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool Merino in Old Gold

Oh yes, it's that brown again. I'm working on another soaker in that same brown and then I think I'll be done with it! Woohoo!

The pattern did not have sizes, so I didn't worry about gauge. I figured if it was too big, then it would fit a bigger baby and if it was too small, then it would fit a newborn. The pattern calls for using 2 strands of yarn during the seed stitch, but that would have made it bigger than what Margaret can wear, so I only used one strand. I didn't add the tassels because McKay thinks they look too frilly. Oh well.

Because I used worsted, it's probably a large, so the baby won't wear it any time soon, unless I get a big chunker of a baby. Margaret was in medium by 6 months and in large sometime between 12 and 14 months.

Very easy pattern. I think I would have done something different around the leg holes. The patterns called for doing a single crochet around those edges, but I think a knitted ribbing would have been better.

No comments: