So I had scraps of wool sweaters sitting around the house. I then decided I would felt the sweaters and turn the fabric into wool pads for sleeping on. When Margaret was a newborn, she and I slept on waterproof crib pads just in case she spit up or peed out her diaper or I leaked a gallon of milk on the mattress. Unfortunately, those don't breathe and so we got really hot and sweaty and I had an angry baby. Margaret has always been sensitive to heat.
I figured that since wool works good for longies and soakers: keeps the wet in, but breathes, we will try that for the next baby.
Before our move, I felted the sweaters and decided I'd sew them into pads before the baby came. After the move, I sort of forgot about my project until I ran into this post, which reminded me.
So today, I got out my sweaters and cut them up and sewed them together. My first one turned out great. It's the perfect size to fit my breasts and a baby on.
Then, for my second, I wanted to utilize this crown motive and be all "creative" and make it look all patchwork-like. Then I decided that it's meant to be spit up on and gave up on that idea.
And because I just wanted to put everything together, this was my last.
I think I'll fold up and use the last one for under Margaret at night. She's only had two night accidents since January, but you never know. She also refuses to wear anything while sleeping. If this will keep our mattress, dry, we'll do it!
I'll probably put a towel or prefold on top of these to soak up everything. The wool is just to keep the moisture from getting to the sheets and mattress pad and mattress. I'm hoping this will eleviate any need to strip the bed and wash sheets on a daily basis. If needed, I can lanolize these for extra waterproofing.
Oh, and with another scrap, I made a chair sock for a chair leg whose rubber stopper is missing. Now we can use the chair on the linoleum and not worry about scratching it.