Sunday, March 28, 2010

WIP: Yellow Dress


Last Sunday I started a new project, a yellow sweater dress for Margaret. I had this yellow sitting around and I need to get rid of it. After looking at various patterns for toddler dresses, I settled on an adult dress that I'm scaling down with gauge and Margaret's dimensions.


I was able to finish the back in a week. I'll try to finish the front this week and then do the arms and collar over General Conference weekend.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Aran Sweater

So about this being my "sewing" month...

It's kind of been on hold. The problem with sewing is that you can't do it while watching a movie, or whenever you're bored. It has to be done with the sewing machine out- and during the few minutes of deep sleep your toddler gets. If she's not asleep enough, the noise will wake her up- especially if she's teething. 3 molars. At the same time. And I could try when she's awake, but then she wants to sit on my lap and help me sew. It just doesn't work out very well.

But I'll get around to it.

In the meantime, I had to come up with something I could do. So I knit a sweater for the next baby.

Pattern: Mini Classic Aran from Nicki Epstein's Knitting on Top of the World
Yarn: Some acrylic I had lying around. I think it was TLC something.


When I think "Aran Sweater" I think masculine, but judging by the comments of various people who have watched me knit it, it's apparently girly. Good. It'll be "gender neutral" which is what I was going for anyway. I hear the mornings near the Bay are chilly and foggy and knitters who live there have said sweaters are perfectly appropriate for the area.

Now I need a new project. Again.

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Upcycled Blanket to Pants

I spent an afternoon last week sewing pants for Margaret. I made two pairs and here is one!


These were made from a fleece receiving blanket. Margaret likes the feel of fleece fabric, so I thought I'd upcycle this one into pants. I used this tutorial.

The other will be posted when I get the matching tunic done.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Sewing

March is supposed to be my sewing month. Whatever fabric I have leftover at the end of the month will get Freecycled. I am not dragging it all with us to California.

I'm not a very confident seamstress, so I decided to start off slow. Last night I repaired two of my skirts: one's zipper was coming out and the other's zipper was broken.

This morning, I added a fabric yoyo to Margaret's dress and made a barrette and headband to match. The headband is hanging from the hanger and you can see the yoyo added to the waist of the dress:



Here's the barrette to match.

Baby Surprise Jacket, revisited

Last weekend, I decided to do more of my acrylic de-stashing and make a BSJ for the future baby.

What happened instead was that I got a jacket that fit Margaret exactly. Since the last one didn't fit well, I figure this one can be hers and the other can be the baby's.



Yarn: Red Heart Soft in Polo.