Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Swiffer Covers



Once upon a time, there was a committee. The committee was deciding which colors would become "holiday" colors. Just as they were finalizing the colors, someone spoke up and said, "Wait, we can't use these colors! Years from now someone will be manufacturing yarn and those colors will end up in a variegated skein and make all holiday crafts look like clown barf!" And so we were saved from a miserable existence.

Except it didn't happen that way at all. I wish it had; holiday-dyed yarns almost always look like clown barf to me.

When I decided to make swiffer covers, I noted the "holiday" yarn in my stash. The skeins were repurposed to me. I have had no idea what to make with the skeins because I really didn't want clown barf for the holidays- but swiffer pads! Who cares what those look like? No one! They aren't out for display and only come out when I feel like cleaning.

I made 3 swiffer covers so far.

Swiffer Cover 1


Pattern: Swiffer Mop Cover- Knitted (Ravelry Link)
Yarn: Peaches n Creme in Yankee Doodle


This cover is the most taut, which I like, but it is so taut that the pad doesn't cover the whole swiffer. I apparently have gauge issues.

Swiffer Cover 2


Pattern: Zoom (opens a pdf)
Yarn: Peaches n Creme in Yankee Doodle and then some in Mistletoe


I like that this one covers the swiffer, but it's not as taut and I worry how it would react to water. Also, I ran out of the Yankee Doodle skein and finished it up in Mistletoe- but who cares? It's a swiffer cover!

Swiffer Cover 3


Yarn: Peaches n Creme in Mistletoe


This one attaches like a swiffer pad is meant to: there are 4 bobbles that you stick into the little slots on the swiffer.


I'll probably try a few more patterns at a later date. I think I'm good for now.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Works in Progress

First, here's a picture of Margaret in that yellow dress I made her. It's a little blurry. She wore this dress to church today and got lots of compliments! Also, you can see her little elephant is well-loved.



On Friday, when I finished the soaker, I started a sock.


Saturday I went to my first ever knitting class. We're making skirts. This is as far as I'm "supposed" to go until this Saturday. I may or may not stick to that.

I have a few other projects I should be working on, so the skirt might really get the back burner this week since I am technically "on schedule." We bought a swiffer because we didn't have a mop. I plan on knitting up some cotton swiffer covers that I can put in the wash and reuse. I also want to make Margaret some felt refrigerator magnets and sew myself those maternity shorts and sew the onesies into shirts. I haven't worked on those because we don't have a table yet, but we should be getting one Wednesday!

Also, I have a fun project for ping pong balls in mind. It was actually McKay's idea, but it's brilliant and will rock your world when I finish it.

Friday, May 21, 2010

FO: Vintage Soaker #2

Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool Merino in Old Gold


So I think this is it for this brown color. No more soakers from it! I've made 4 soakers total from this brown and I need a change of pace. I do have a little left, but I think I'll use it for a felted bag in the future.

As for the pattern, it suggests folding the top ridge down and making a casing for elastic to go around the waist. I'm not going to bother with that for now. I think the ribbing will work just fine on its own without elastic, but if it doesn't, I'll add it later. This is probably sized medium. Not sure. We'll see once this baby shows up.

Monday, May 17, 2010

FO: Vintage Soaker


Pattern: Knitted Soaker from 1959 Good Housekeeping Knitting for Baby Book (pdf on the bottom of that page)
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool Merino in Old Gold

Oh yes, it's that brown again. I'm working on another soaker in that same brown and then I think I'll be done with it! Woohoo!

The pattern did not have sizes, so I didn't worry about gauge. I figured if it was too big, then it would fit a bigger baby and if it was too small, then it would fit a newborn. The pattern calls for using 2 strands of yarn during the seed stitch, but that would have made it bigger than what Margaret can wear, so I only used one strand. I didn't add the tassels because McKay thinks they look too frilly. Oh well.

Because I used worsted, it's probably a large, so the baby won't wear it any time soon, unless I get a big chunker of a baby. Margaret was in medium by 6 months and in large sometime between 12 and 14 months.

Very easy pattern. I think I would have done something different around the leg holes. The patterns called for doing a single crochet around those edges, but I think a knitted ribbing would have been better.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Back into Knitting

The move is over, though we are still finishing up the last touches (need to register the car, get health insurance, get ready for the baby, etc.).

I did finish fixing up those holes in that blanket before the move, but I forgot to take a finished picture. It looked nice, though it wasn't perfect.

I'm working on a soaker for the baby and will probably do another soaker after this one. They are both from a 1959 Good Housekeeping, so they are vintage-y and cool like that. I'm also looking into adding some projects to queue for Margaret.

I checked out the local yarn store on Saturday. Very nice. Lots of choices and friendly. In fact, I think I'll sign up for a class. I've never actually taken a class before, but the designer is coming to teach it and I have $15 off a class. I'd still have to buy my own yarn for the project which will probably be more than $15, so it's not actually that much of a discount.

Also, thanks to everyone who voted for "Feed Me" on HackedIRL. Last Friday, it posted! I feel so famous.

Oh well, I have 2 soakers to knit and a couple of pairs of socks. And a class to sign up for! Pictures to come.