Sunday, August 07, 2011

Startitis Sunday

So once those socks of McKay's were finished, I had nothing on my needles. Can you imagine?! I had to cast on something quick! So I did what I normally do when I have no direction: let gaussian noise decide. I took a random number generator and picked my next project. I'm working on this pinwheel sweater for Margaret. Here's how it is now:


This is a great stash-buster. So far, I've had enough yarn, but now I'm not sure what to do. I need 2 more stripes, but I only have enough of a different color yarn for one of them. It looks like I'm going to need to buy a skein, but I'm not sure what color to go with. Right now my colors are: pink, Christmas red, turquoise blue, pale yellow, and lime green. They look so very bright in real life: very fit for a child. The last color will be a charcoal grey as a nice solid border color, but I'm not sure what color to use for the stripe between the green and grey. Purple won't look good next to the green (it's lime-ier in real life). Maybe orange. Or white. What do you think?


Needing a small project (and being held up by this lack-of-6th-color issue), I turned to this skein of yarn from Lanitium ex Machina. It's purple and orange like I requested. The colors remind me of purple carrots: purple on the outside, orange on the inside. The color sections are short: about 4-6 inches of color before the next. It has the capacity to pool really badly, so I'm trying a pattern from my new book, The Knitter's Guide to Hand-dyed and Variegated Yarn. There's one sock pattern and I think it'll work for this skein. We'll see!


No comments: