Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Double Knitting

I've been wanting to learn double knitting, so I tried out the technique on this potholder. Double knitting creates a piece that is reversible with the colors inverted on the back side. It took me a while to get the technique down. It was so confusing to look at the chart and my needles and not to be able to "read" my knitting. I eventually got the hand of it, though. I found that since I read the chart off my computer screen, when I did the "wrong side" rows, it was easier if I inverted the colors on the screen.

Pattern: The Prettiest Hot Pad Ever
Yarn: Acrylic from my stash


My original plan was to make two of these and then sew them together into a reversible purse or bag for the kids to play with. I still might.

In the meantime, the kids have been using it as a play potholder. Since the yarn is some acrylic, I don't know if I could use it as an actual potholder without risking some melted yarn.

No comments: