Wednesday, October 24, 2012

WIP Wednesday

It's been a while since I've done a WIP Wednesday. I have only one WIP and the knitting is done! In fact, the fulling is done!

Before fulling (using my chin to hold it up because my hand is taking the picture):

Next to an 8.5 x 11 inch paper:

After fulling:

I still need to shave the bag, add handles, and decorate. I'm not sure how I want to do the decorating. I have to go through my supplies and see what there is. I have a pattern for a felted rose I could use. Or just a ribbon bow. Or buttons.


I started this back in June, lost a needle, found a needle, and finally finished it!

The bookmark yarn and pattern came from a kit that doesn't say much as to what kind of yarn it is at all. The pattern says the main stitch pattern is called "Swiss Fan" from Barbara G. Walker. The pattern also has the Monarch Knitting website on it, so I'm guessing it was bought from them. It was de-stashed to me in May from someone at church.

Not yet blocked:


Post-blocking with a tassel!

Post-blocking, truer-to-real-color picture:

This was another project that I had started when I was not feeling productive in my life and figured, "Oh, I'll just do a kit since I already have the pattern and yarn for that," in an attempt to jumpstart my knitting mojo. Now maybe having a pretty bookmark will mean my reading mojo will kick back in.

Monday, October 22, 2012


So after I finished those socks, my next project was Halloween costumes. My kids kept changing their minds, but eventually settled on "mermaid" and "pumpkin." I got the fabric for the mermaid costume and orange pumpkin shirt for less than $25 at the discount fabric store down the road. Margaret specifically asked for a purple tail and I found the best "scale-like" fabric ever.

The back:

It's shiny scale fabric with tulle for the fin part. She requested the halter neck, and since that was easier than straps, that's what I went with.

The green scarf is from the dollar store. It's supposed to be "seaweed." We also colored her hair blue and green- it just didn't show up well in these pictures! I also bought supplies to make a crown, but the sea glass was too heavy to stay on her head or allow the hot glue to keep it together.

Isaac wanted to be a pumpkin. I made his tunic shirt from some orange linen. McKay cut out the face and I sewed it on. When it's no longer Halloween, I can remove the face and he'll have a nice orange shirt.

I did knit the hat, though. The pictures aren't the greatest, but oh well! I
Pattern: Pumpkin Hat and Leaf
Yarn: Red Heart

I made sure to wash the hat before he wore it at the Halloween party- much softer!

I'll try to get better pictures this weekend at another party. And maybe on Halloween itself. I'm glad I'm done with the costumes, though!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Acorn Socks!

I finished these a week and a half ago and sent them out to the recipient about a week ago. I'm assuming she has received them already and so I'm now posting them.

Pattern: Acorn Stash Sock
Yarn: Ty-dy Dots Socks in Seafoam.

Finishing these socks was filled with drama including buying more yarn, getting the wrong yarn, and having to buy more.  But they are done! 6 months later...

The colors are a light blue with green and orange specks. The drama involved with these socks will be documented on my Ravelry project page.

These went to Katie. I hope they fit her. There are little acorns on the sides, so that's cute.

Monday, October 01, 2012


This was the project I started once I finished the shawl. I needed something quick to make up for that long project.

Pattern: Popcorn
Yarn: acrylic in my stash

So this is another addition to the kids' play kitchen. I was afraid knitting all those little popcorn pieces individually and then sewing them onto the toy would be finicky and troublesome, but it went a lot faster than expected. I could have added cardboard pieces to the walls of the popcorn tub for shaping, but decided against it so it can be thrown into the wash easily.


Pattern: Melman the Giraffe
Yarn: Some mint and brown Red Heart from the stash

I have been doing a lot of stash knitting lately. This giraffe was for a friend who is expecting in a little less than a month and went in with her breastfeeding basket I give to new moms. Instead of knitting the nose separately and sewing it on, I knit it onto the head. Less seaming! I finished this Friday and forgot to get a picture, so this picture is copyright Tiffany Hancock, the recipient.

Produce Bag

I made this back in August and never took a picture of it. This was another "random number generator" projects. The yarn is just some destashed-from-someone-else crochet cotton thread that I would never use up otherwise.

Pattern: Knitted Produce Bag
Yarn: Crochet Cotton from stash

This isn't the best picture, but it's not really the prettiest thing to knit either. We already use cloth bags for our groceries (and by January, our county won't allow grocery stores to give away plastic bags). So going to a knitted produce bag for the few pieces of produce we get at the store (most is from our CSA), was pretty logical. I actually like the colors here for some reason.

The pattern was great for social knitting: simple lace and stockinette in the round. I worked on it mostly at parks and church.